Dear CEE Citizens Network Members,
CEE Citizens Network decided to launch the Citizens Participation Week (CPW) for the first time in the autumn of the 2005-year.
The CPW provides you the best opportunity to:
- Showcase the contribution of citizens to society.
- Stimulate more people to become a good citizen.
- Highlight sustainable results of the Citizens Participation and support
citizens' achievement through joint activities.
It is our hope that you will encourage participation of local and national governments, international organizations such as the UN, NGOs and civil society organizations, volunteer networks or organizations, universities and the media. If possible, give youth or women's groups, older persons or less advantaged people opportunities to contribute. Prepare activities that will address or raise awareness on Citizens Participation, while also mobilizing the greatest number of volunteers and stakeholders in your country. Clearly demonstrate that these activities are linked to ongoing, longer-term participation projects/efforts.
All planned activities should be sent to us at
for publicity on the CPW 2005 site. Details of events should be sent in the following format:
Details about the event
All planned activities will need to be funded locally, thus identify and commit local donors
We have agreed upon a poster of the CPW and also national version of logo that you could find on the CPW website: http://www.ceecn.net
We propose you use this as your promotional materials for the week.
Media tool (draft of the press release) will be sent to you but we encourage you to:
We propose further that you:
- Aim to increase Citizens Participation-related coverage the weeks leading up to CPW.
- Keep journalists abreast of your plans for CPW.
- Establish good relations with all media organizations by supplying news releases, articles and photographs of citizens' activities.
- Distribute media releases through government institutions, NGO or civil society organization networks. Involve their information officers, who could promote CPW proactively at events, post CPW activities on their organizational websites, or include them in their regular newsletters.
- Name a local contact person to answer media inquiries and to actively contact them.
- Initiate discussions about Citizens Participation on TV and radio.
- Send news, press releases, photographs or documents about CPW preparations in your country to us regularly. These materials will be posted on the CPW site.
- Capture CPW activities by taking photos, collecting speeches, and gathering basic statistics about the number and scope of national events. You may want to recruit volunteer journalists to help capture the day.
- Send your country CPW reports . Your state reports will be posted on the CPW website: http://www.ceecn.net